Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Like Magic

Last night I finished reading Breaking Dawn. I am amazed by how much stuff was blazing through Stephanie Meyer's mind, and I am thrilled that she invested the time and strength into capturing it on page for my entertainment. So thrilled.

My thoughts? I was able to unravel most of what was happening before it happened, but there were still a few things that left me pleasantly surprised. My only qualm was that SM's writing lost a little of it's passion. That's not an accusation, only something I noticed because I've done it myself.

In Suds, the reader can probably see the parts of the story where I was completely involved in the emotional aspects of the story whereas somewhere down the line, there was more explaining than showing expression, passion, and emotion. Writing is hard work. It gets tiring, especially when there is a lot of information that needs to be shared with the reader.

In book one, SM wrote from passion because the characters were so real to her. In the following books, she had to weave in the plot twists with explanations which might have taken away from her ability to just fall in love with the piece. That's what frustrates me about editing sometimes, there's too much thinking involved, and that thinking can dilute the passion and emotion. (I don't state this to undermine the necessity of editing just how easy it is to feel torn and lose footing in the process. And then throw in publishing deadlines and busy schedules on top of that.)

The entire Twilight series is laced with raw emotion and suspense, but the first book is best. And here is the rub :o) If you read the first, you have to follow the characters through the end of the fourth book. The closure is an absolute necessity.

I loved this entire series, and I will definitely be reading Midnight Sun, Twilight from Edward's perspective. Edward's perspective is so much more entertaining, though I still love Bella. Read the first chapter for yourself.

No comments: